I previously made Chicken Ropa Vieja as a healthier option, even though the dish is traditionally prepared with beef. But, if the beef is a lean cut – sirloin in this case – and trimmed closely, it can also be pretty darn healthy. And, wow, does that beef flavor come through.
I happened to have pomegranates that I didn’t have plans for, so I seeded them and threw them in. This added a fruitiness that was very interesting alongside the savoriness and spiciness.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||4 hours|
- 2 pounds sirloin beef trimmed of fat, cut in 1-1/2" chunks
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1 red onion
- 1 cubanelle pepper or other pepper
- 28 ounce canned stewed tomatoes
- 2 tsp chili de arbol ground
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pomegranates
- 1 tsp kosher salt adjusted to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper adjusted to taste
- Place beef in slow cooker. Sprinkle with cumin and oregano.
- Cut onions and peppers in strips and place on top of beef.
- Cut stewed tomatoes into chunks and place on top. Sprinkle with chile de arbol powder, salt, and pepper.
- Seed pomegranates (see https://absolute0cooking.com/recipe/how-to-seed-a-pomegranate/). Add pomegranate to the pot.
- Place lid on slow cooker (don't lock it, but you know that already, right?). Cook on High for 4 hours.
- Strain out the liquids into a bowl. Retain the liquids as a stock for a future recipe.
- Use two forks to shred the beef.